Thursday 11 June 2020

Travalogue 2018- Gandikota, Andhra Pradesh.


This was the year I wanted to travel to atleast 12 places ( which I technically did). I ended up visiting Belum and Ganditkota twice, both in the winter. This is by far the best time to visit since it is a very rocky terrain and even in winter the temperatures were high enough during the day. Since the fort would take anything between 2 hours to 6 hours depending on how seriously you are exploring, good weather is a necessity rather than an attraction. 

January 2018: Gandikota
Nov 2018: Gandikota 

#Ganditkota is a (sand) fort in Andhra Pradesh. You will find small community of people still living there in and around the fort. At one end of the fort there is a mosque, next to it a temple ruin and at the very end of that same trail you get to the best view of the Canyon!!! The fort has an elaborate entrance, and from atop the entrance you can see the entire expanse of the fort. Near the entrance you have a pigeon tower and to the left of the tower is a huge granary and a little ahead of the granary is a temple and a water tank. If you explore you'll see some farming and hear namaz. The little hustle and bustle added to the over all vibe of the place. The last time I was there, the fort was still being developed as a tourist attraction.

Different views in and around Gandikota Fort- Andhra Pradesh
 
I went to Belum caves and Gandikota twice in 2018. Who knew 2020 would make me feel nostalgic. With this lockdown amid Covid fears travel seems like a distant dream, but not every year can be perfect. Although I have visited only twice, somehow, slowly it has creeped into my top ten places to visit. I still have a trip to make for some adventure sports, especially rafting. I got a little taste of what could be in store when I walked along the edge of the gorge, here in my last trip. 2 years already seems far too long ago to me. I know that words are not enough to express the beauty and allure of Gandikota. There are so many things to enjoy here apart form the Canyon. The view of rolling mountains spotted with windmills, the walls of the fort bathed in the rays of the rising sun.That’s why, I definitely recommend an overnight stay at the Haritha Resorts (APTDC). If you are in Bangalore, a weekend trip would be perfect teamed up with Belum Caves as well, only 60 kms away.  

Both times I have been by private vehicle, so I am clueless about how to go there by public transport. I missed staying overnight on my first visit but I was determined to stay there for the second one. 

The first visit I chose to stay in Kurnool which was 100 kms away from Belum and another 60 from Gandikota. My first Gandikota visit was a bit rushed, Belum caves and Gandikota both in one day. Honestly I don’t remember much except the little photos I took at the viewpoint of the Canyon. So I promised myself the next time I will be here for the sunset and sunrise and everything in between. Oh boy! Am I glad I could keep the promise to myself. 


Gandikota at the Canyon viewpoint, January 2018 
     

I am a firm believer in the Government run accommodation, they are economical and almost always close to the attractions. They help with arranging tours too. Online booking is available, sometimes only booking online is an option. The downside being, they aren't as luxurious or at times don't even make good first impressions.

I missed staying overnight on my first visit but I was determined to stay there for the second one.
APTDC also has accommodation available here. It's within walking distance from the fort ( less than or about 1km). The APTDC also has camping facilities. One can camp there with their own tent as well as rent a tent to stay. The AC tents are placed a little further, near the fort walls, along the valley while their rooms are in a different place. They have a restaurant which provides simple fare, when I last visited this was the only place for miles that provided any food ( apart from the locals, who I am not sure about). A small trek down the cliff into the Canyon and there you can do river rafting in the Pennar River as well as stay in tents along the banks.

Gandikota Nov 2018
Near the APTDC tents
Near the APTDC tents, at sunrise.

I was lucky enough to view both a sunrise and sunset here. Well more than lucky, it was by design. I got caught in the rain on the evening before, so although it wasn't an ideal sunset, the atmosphere was truly romantic. We were at the fort when we spotted the rain clouds closing in on us. I remember looking at the Dam ( not sure which one) from the ruins of a temple and seeing the rain. We ran, but within 5 minutes we were soaked as we made our way back to the hotel.


Sunset : top pic
Sunrise bottom Pic




2 comments:

  1. Beautifully captured photos and the description written so,well that it makes me wish,to go there right now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a beautiful place, definitely worth a visit!

      Delete